02 September 2006

Music! Sweet music! Music everywhere!

Current music:O Holy Night -- John Berry

A meme I found over at That Girlie Girl's page. And though I need to be working on the story I gave in because it's about MUSIC.

**********

Open iTunes/iPod or Windows Media Player to answer the following. Go to your library. Answer, no matter how embarrassing it is.

How many songs? 864 on my playlist, 3188 songs when I include my husband's list.

Sort by artist:
First artist: ABBA
Last artist: ZZ Top

Sort by song title:
First: 'Deed I Do -- Jay McShann
'Round Midnight -- Theolonious Monk

Last: Zimmer Imagines Heaven -- Paul Zimmer
Youth of the Nation -- POD

Sort by time:
Shortest Song: Let Me Be Your Hog -- Weird Al Yankovic (:16)
How Poetry Comes to Me -- Gary Snyder (:17)

Longest Song: Le Boeuf Sur le Toit (The Ox is on the Roof) -- Darius Milhaus (18:45)
Macarthur Park Suite -- Donna Summer (17:36) whoo!

First Album: '80's Soft Sides with "Hold Me Now" (Thompson Twins)
Last Album: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow (Kenny Loggins)

First song that comes up on Shuffle: "Sweet Dreams" by Air Supply
Then "She Still Thinks I Care" -- George Jones

Top songs played on the computer --
29 plays for "A Song for You" -- Ray Charles
29 for "Let Me Be Your Hog" -- Weird Al Yankovic
26 for "Brick by Brick" -- Kelley Hunt (my daughter likes that one and me too)
26 for "Simon Smith and His Amazing Dancing Bear" -- the Muppets (I play it for me; my girl's ambivalent about it; she prefers "Manah Manah")
26 for "Shining Star" -- Earth Wind and Fire

How many songs come up when you search for "sex?"
1 -- "All My Pretty Ones" -- Anne Sexton

How many songs come up when you search for "death?"
1-- "O Death" -- Ralph Stanley

How many songs come up when you search for "love?"
66, including "That's the Way Love Goes" by Merle Haggard, "We Live for Love" by Pat Benetar, "Never my Love" by Kurt Elling, and "Sailing" by Christopher Cross (??)

How many songs come up when you search for "you?" 86
Including "If You Could Read My Mind" -- Gordon Lightfoot

How many songs come up when you search for "why?" 6
Including "Don't Ask Me Why" by Asleep at the Wheel and "Why Do I Love You?" by Kelley Hunt

How many songs come up when you search for "God?" 4
Including "Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone!" by Roy Clark

How many songs come up when you search for "crazy?" 2
"I Go Crazy" by Paul Davis and "Crazy Love" by Poco

How many songs come up when you search for "Certified Angus Beef!"

I just stuck that in there.

How many songs come up when you search for "f***?" 0, duh.

5 comments:

Melinda R. Cordell said...

Well, now, I wouldn't say that! When I was a substitute teacher, I'd listen in on what the kids were listening to. Really interesting -- of course they have their loud music, but I've also heard them listen to George Strait "Check Yes or No," which is a sweet song. A lot of Beatles. One guy let me see his CD collection, and he had stuff by CCR, Johnny Cash, George Jones !!, and Elton John. Granted, he also had Zepplin, AC/DC, and Marilyn Manson, but he also had a pic of his little cousin from elementary school. Aww.

I don't know that we've surrendered to the Yell-Singers just today. They've been yelling for a long time. Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman used to bother the adults, back in the day, all that loud music! And don't forget Elvis! And the Beatles. Even in the swing era there were all kinds of lousy bands playing loud music certain to rile up parents.

There's a ton of good music out there, and I think with the music-sharing files, and how easy it is to create and share CD's, and with many musicians allowing people to download music on their websites, there's a lot of young adults developing their tastes away from the Fashion Machine. Some of it's loud, sure -- my friend sent me a mix CD that included a Johnny Eats World song. At first I thought it was pretty crunchy. But over the last few months I've really grown to like it -- now I crank it up as I cruise down the road. And it's clean.

I do have issues with people playing their headphones too loud, though, but that's a whole 'nother post!

Melinda R. Cordell said...

(I checked my songs just now. Everything I have listed seems to be clean and sweet. Though some are clean and edgy. But what the hey.)

Don Tate II said...

Dang, I didn't even know you could search songs like that. And, hey, I got ZZ Top on mine, too!

Melinda R. Cordell said...

I think I have only "Viva Las Vegas" by ZZ Top.

I love playing with iTunes on the computer. The neat thing is that at work we have iTunes sharing on the computer network. Problem is that my Dell and the iTunes don't seem to be compatible -- a lot of the CD's I load up onto the system skip or even stutter -- usually the songs I really, REALLY want, of course. However, the iTunes on our computers at home work just fine (we have Compaqs) so I'm not sure what's up with that. Frustrating, though.

Melinda R. Cordell said...

There's a little search bar at the top of the page. Also, if you click on the bar at the top of the song listings, you can change the order of the songs accordingly. Click on "Song Title" to list by title (click again to list from Z-A), or you can list the songs by ratings, or by artist, or album, or song length. I like listing by song length because that really mixes up the mix, and it's more like radio that way.